Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Long Will Get His First Hire Right.....I Hope

Make no mistake about it, Jeff Long knows the magnitude of his first official duty as Chancellor of Athletics, or whatever his fancy title is that takes effect January 1. Long knows that hiring this football coach will be the difference in him staying in Fayetteville briefly or being on the hill for a long time. Its a very important task he has been given and I believe he knows that before he officially "takes office" fans could hate him forever if he beefs this up...at least I hope he does.
I must say I am a bit nervous about the one man search committee aspect of this search however. I know there is help for Long behind the scenes if he needs it. John White was the only person that we know was involved in hiring Jeff Long, which we don't know yet how that will work out. Frank Broyles took it upon himself to get a new basketball coach and brought Hog fans Dana Altman....well we know how that ended. After that, John White hired the search firm and John Pelphrey was brought on board. It is very unlikely that someone would "go Altman" on the U of A again, but I think I would feel a bit more comfortable with the search firm being hired yet again.

No comments: